Objectives of the Division:
The Student Division of PsySSA aims to:
- Develop an organisational structure for psychology that reconciles historically opposed groups;
- To serve the needs and the interests of all South Africa’s people;
- To acknowledge and surpass psychology’s role in the apartheid system;
- Ensure that the division remains an organ of civil society without an overt or covert loyalty to any political party.
- Advance psychology as a science, profession and as a means of promoting human well being;
- Actively strive for social justice, opposing policies that deny individuals or groups access to the material and psychological conditions necessary for optimal human development and protesting against any violation of basic human rights;
- To establish and maintain the highest standard of ethics;
- Engage in policy development processes that are relevant to social enhancement and psychological practice in South Africa;
- Promote the rendering or and advancing mental health services to all in South Africa.
Vision and Mission of the PsySSA Student Division
The Student Division is centered on the core values of ethical development of psychology students and aims to create a space to gain insight into the discipline, academically and practically. By providing mentorship opportunities, we believe that knowledge can be organically transferred between students who would not have the access to the relevant resources and inspire collaboration among students, and professionals.
We recognise that transformation of the discipline is imperative to realise a truly inclusive approach to psychological services and research in South Africa.
By facilitating community engagement, we aim to inspire students to one day become professionals that give back to the community and be passionate about service to the poor and vulnerable.
We endeavour to always listen to our fellow students and acknowledge that the student journey is not always a clear path, thus we strive to be a comprehensive repository of psychology student guidance. By enabling knowledge dissemination, we also focus strongly on developing and connecting Psychology Societies, unified in the spirit of serving, to promote mental health services for all in South Africa. To get involved with us, please see the divisional contact details listed below.
Through our various subcommittees listed below, we aim to achieve the above-mentioned ideals:
- Community Development
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Media & Marketing
- National Mentorship Programme
- Public Relations
- Psychology Student Societies on Campus
- Research into Student Empowerment
- Student Representatives Council
Incentives for Divisional membership and details of costs
What do members receive by becoming members?
- Access to the SAJP
- Affiliation with a student body that will represent and support you
- Support to psychology student structures at Universities
- Connection with Psychology professionals and the academic field
- Creating opportunities for students to gain necessary skills, through voluntary events.
- Addressing student needs through round table discussions, running programmes, while seeking to solve problems creatively.
Details of costs:
PsySSA Student membership fee : R160.00. Membership to the division is free when you are a paid up PsySSA Student member.
Social Media Links:
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/psysaasd.campaigns/
- Instagram: PsySSA SD http://instagram.com/psyssa_student_division
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/PsySSA_Students
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSqC2I6wCkBe9Y4X9ziRdxg/feed
- WhatsApp Group: https://chat.whatsapp.com/FnCEUHX5qRtHssv52S9bvU
Division Contact details:
Chair: Mr Muhammed Yaeesh Cassim email@example.com
Vice-Chair: Ms Genevieve Burrow firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Ms Rivendri Govender email@example.com
Treasurer: Ms Marguerite Bergman firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Member: Ms Lynne Richards email@example.com
Additional Member: Ms Matshepo Setlaleleng firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Member: Ms Bridgette Mogoje email@example.com