It is with great sadness that we, at the Psychological Society of South Africa (PsySSA), learned of the untimely passing of Professor Bernard Janse Van Rensburg with whom we have had an excellent professional relationship since his Presidency of the South African Society of Psychiatrists (SASOP). This is a tragic loss that will be felt widely and, of course, in the national mental health arena where he contributed substantially. At this time, we are reminded of the key role that he played in initiating a meeting among the national leaders of mental health disciplines during his Presidency. This was a first for the country, since our professional bodies had operated in isolation from each other despite being in a relatively small country. It was clear that Professor Janse van Rensburg was a visionary and a progressive thinker who believed in a unified approach to addressing mental health care in South Africa. His address at the 2018 PsySSA Congress plenary event on Advancing Public Mental Health Care in South Africa spoke precisely to this issue. As a Psychology fraternity we value the role he played in bringing our respective disciplines closer, especially in a time of great challenges in our country. PsySSA extends its deepest condolences to the family of Professor Janse van Rensburg and wishes you much strength as you navigate this difficult period ahead.
- 18th Annual Peace, Safety and Human Rights Memorial Lecture – Recording Out Now!
- Vacancies within the Matzikama Sub-district
- PsySSA Membership 2024 Now Open!
- Out Now! SAJP Volume 53 Issue 4: December 2023
- Unlock the Power of Artificial Intelligence: AI Interest Group
- Join us at the 33rd International Congress of Psychology 2024 in Prague!
- CLOSED: Registered Counsellor Contract Post at Vista Nova School – Cape Town
- Psychology News!