Objectives of the Division:
The Student Division of PsySSA aims to:
- Develop an organisational structure for psychology that reconciles historically opposed groups;
- To serve the needs and the interests of all South Africa’s people;
- To acknowledge and surpass psychology’s role in the apartheid system;
- Ensure that the division remains an organ of civil society without an overt or covert loyalty to any political party.
- Advance psychology as a science, profession and as a means of promoting human well being;
- Actively strive for social justice, opposing policies that deny individuals or groups access to the material and psychological conditions necessary for optimal human development and protesting against any violation of basic human rights;
- To establish and maintain the highest standard of ethics;
- Engage in policy development processes that are relevant to social enhancement and psychological practice in South Africa;
- Promote the rendering or and advancing mental health services to all in South Africa.
Among the goals for 2016:
- Research different concerns regarding psychology students (survey and round tables);
- Expose psychology students to the academic and professional discipline of psychology (i.e. PsySSA Conference);
- Create opportunities for psychology students to engage in mentor-ship opportunities;
- Assist the community through community projects (giving student volunteer experience);
- Connect students to professionals and researchers in their respective fields of interest (Neuropsychology; Research; Counselling; Clinical and Industrial);
- Address the mental health stigma in South Africa among the youth;
- Assist psychology students to connect with professionals to gain skills to produce publishable material;
- Create and/or connect with psychology student structures in order to support them and gain feedback.
The Student Division is interested primarily in Psychology students, but as a discourse of Psychology – Student Division is also interested in being a voice for students and student issues as a whole, by providing a space for dialogue. The division is also interested in creating awareness of social issues (Xenophobia, HIV/AIDS, women and child abuse, hate crimes, etc) and making psychology relevant to immediate pressing issues (#Feesmustfall).
Incentives for Divisional membership and details of costs
What do members receive by becoming members?
- Access to the SAJP
- Affiliation with a student body that will represent and support
- Support to psychology student structures at Universities
- Connection with Psychology professionals and the academic field
- Creating opportunities for students to gain necessary skills
- Addressing student needs through round table and discussion seeking to solve problems creatively.
Details of costs:
PsySSA Student membership fee : R160.00. Membership to the division is free when you are a paid up PsySSA Student member.
Social Media Links:
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PsySSAStudentDivision/
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/415808325290410/
- Instagram: PsysaaSD http://instagram.com/psyssa_student_division
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/PsySSA_StudentD
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSqC2I6wCkBe9Y4X9ziRdxg/feed
Division Contact details:
Vice-Chair: Ms. Justine du Plooy firstname.lastname@example.org
Interim-Chair: Mr. Hennie Nel email@example.com
Treasurer: Mr. Manuel van der Neut firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Ms Jane Combrink email@example.com
Community Projects: Ms. Sherlinka Naidoo firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Secretary and Marketing: Ms Nicole van Niekerk email@example.com
Regional Director(Eastern Cape): Ms. Onelihle Makedama firstname.lastname@example.org
Regional Director (Gauteng): Ms Jessica Wohlfarth psyssastudentdirectorGP@gmail.com
Regional Director (Kwazulu Natal): Ms Kirana Parusnath email@example.com
Regional Director (Western Cape): Mr. Josh Yeatman firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Member: Ms Samantha Cockroft Sam.email@example.com
Additional Member: Ms. Maham Hasan firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Member: Ms. Cecilia Steenkamp email@example.com